Business to consumer (B2C) companies and their contract manufacturing organizations (CMO) are always looking to create products that can beat the competition and capture the public’s attention. Here are the top 5 attributes consumers are looking for when choosing products and the methods to produce products which meet them all.
1. Quality – One of the primary reasons consumers choose to buy a product is that they know it works. Whether they have come to know the product through household use or demonstration advertising they have seen the results and purchase that brand for the known quality. In order to produce a product of quality a company must utilize state of the art formulation services to devise the product’s formula. Method Development and Validation are also necessary to ensure that the manufacturing processes are consistent and continually producing a top-notch product.
2. Claims – Consumers also place high value on a product’s marketing claims. Everything from “fragrance free” and “all-natural” to “cleans in less than 3 minutes” all are valuable information that can trigger a purchase from someone searching for a product that meets their specific priorities and needs. False claims, however can quickly diminish brand loyalty. In order to make the best claims on the market companies should pursue an independent laboratory to certify product claims and confirm product efficacy.
3. Innovation – Sometimes the product that their grandmother used will be perfectly fine for generations of consumers, but more often everyone is looking for the next best thing. Innovation is paramount in keep an audience’s attention and generating new customers. Innovation is also one of the hardest aspects for companies to personally implement as it requires product knowledge on a fundamental level. Companies looking to keep their products fresh use custom analytical laboratories to revise and improve current formulas through reformulation, as well as create next-gen products. Such laboratories use analytical chemistry to create products that have an increased efficacy, improved look, longer shelf-life and other desired improvements.
4. Safety – Whether a product is “all-natural” or “highly-flammable” safety testing and labeling is vital in ensuring consumer safety and brand trust. Specialized analytical laboratories provide verification studies to confirm claims as well as stability testing to push products to their breaking point and pinpoint any potential hazards. They also provide reformulation services for products needing formulation revision and failure analysis services to discover manufacturing defects as in the case of product recalls.
5. Competitor Comparison – While the other attributes on this list focus on consumers wanting their purchased products to be effective and trustworthy, none of that will matter if a competitor’s product is best in every way. Competitor product analysis provides valuable insight into marketing claims and determines why the competing product is more effective, brighter, stronger, longer-lasting and many other aspects so that it can be reformulated to achieve the desired results.
While marketing, packaging design, and price all contribute to consumer choices; these 5 attributes relate to the product itself and can either make or break long-term sales and brand loyalty. To pursue customized analysis for your product or to create a new product formulation contact Avomeen Analytical Services.